Termites in 5-1-1

Beach_bums(8a)February 22, 2014

I just moved my two bird of paradise plants outside today so they could enjoy the sun and balmy temps. In the saucers, under the containers, there was what looked like fine, brown sand. On closer inspection I found termites running around in the saucers. The plants stay outside nine months of the year sitting on shredded pine mulch, so I'm sure that's where they came from. My question is, will the termites damage the plants during the next two months before I repot them? I'm pretty sure they don't eat healthy roots but I'd like some other opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I think the fine particulate that results from their feasting will compromise the drainage characteristics and structural integrity of the mix, but I think the plants will survive. I would set the containers in saucers/drip-trays, and then thoroughly flood the containers and the termites, too, just as you would if the container were infested with ants. Good luck!

Josh

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 3:37PM
Beach_bums(8a)

Thanks Josh, I flooded them with FP while they were outside. I don't think there are too many termites in the mix, just a few dozen workers that wandered into the pots over the summer.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 4:00PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

As long as you don't have the whole colony, it should be ok, IF they don't send radio signals to their friends to come and have party. LOL

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 3:05AM
More Discussions
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™