Caladiums and Frost

lovetogarden(z4 NY)May 12, 2013

I have a huge planter on my porch filled with Caladium bulbs I started in my house. The weather is going down into the low 30s tonight and tomorrow night. Since there is no way that I can move the pot, can I leave them in pot or dig them out and hold in my house? Or will they be able to survive 2 nights of freezing cold weather? Should I take the risk? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dahlialady46(5a)

Maybe you could wrap them gently with newspaper, and then place a big heavy duty garbage bag over them. just my opinion.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 5:12PM
lovetogarden(z4 NY)

Hi Dahlialady, thanks for your imput but they are already in the pot. Was wondering if I should just take them out of the pot or will they survive 2 nights of freezing weather?

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:22PM
dahlialady46(5a)

The bulbs...are they budding up through the soil? If not....the soil should insulate them. If they are budding.....lighly mulch them with leaves, or gently wrap newspaper around the buds,then cover the whole container with a bag for insulation. You don't want to start digging out the bulbs if they are already budding and forcing their way through the soil. I'm in Montreal, a bit north of you....looks like we are in for a cold night,but no frost warning. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:43AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Agree with Dahlialady, if they're not producing foliage yet, a little night frost will be fine. Being in cold, wet soil can rot Caladium bulbs though. Next year, you might want to wait until it's a little warmer to pot them up. They wait and wait for it to get warm before they wake up, and potting them up early (outside, at least) won't result in having beautiful leaves quicker. Any foliage touched by frost will be ruined. Wrapping the pot with a strand of Christmas lights can help keep it warmer.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™