Crinuims-growing from seed

njoynit(Z8b Coastal ~secluded)May 20, 2009

My crinuims,they bloom heavy in spring and fall then shot a few stalks out durring the summer too. They've set alot of seed this year.

The stalks do seem to be floppy as are 2 1/2 ft tall. also wondered if could collect crinuim pollon and store in fridge to use on my other crinuims.I'm guessing this ones self fertile as is the only one blooming.my others don't start till end of june.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njoynit(Z8b Coastal ~secluded)

The seed pods

I found something had eaten on one and the seed inside had the papery husk around it and had sprouted so stuck it in flowerbed 2 grow-in-place.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 2:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubba62

Your crinum is C. bulbispermum, which is definitely self-fertile and produces a lot of seeds which look like small bulbs (hence the species name, which means "bulb seed"). It doesn't offset much, unlike a lot of other species and hybrids, which may be why it seeds so prolifically. They grow very easily, and you probably can store the pollen. I wouldn't bother to refrigerate it; just stick it in a closed container with a packet of silica gel (like you get in shoe boxes) or a few grains of rice to absorb any excess moisture, and put it in a cool, dark place until you're ready to use it. It's fun to hybridize Crinum, but it can be a long wait to see the results!

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 3:18AM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™