Zone 4 anemone & ranunculus

steelskies(5)May 7, 2011

I bought sme of these bulbs on sale at Menards, but I think they aren't hardy in my zone (Wisconsin). I think I have to lift the bulbs before winter, but I don't think they bloom this summer if I plant them this spring.

I planted some anemones before and never got a thing.

I did read that they should be soaked before planting. If so, how long, if anyone knows.

Looking for any information about how to grow these to flower stage in my Zone 4. thank you in advance!

Thank you in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

Regarding Ranunculus, I would refer you to my post on a recent thread, see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ranunculus

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 10:49PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Which kind of anemones? The daisy like ("Windflowers") ones are cold hardy. The ones that look like poppies (deCaen) are only hardy to Zone 6. I have not grown those, though I was tempted (Saw them at Menard's, too) and looked them up on the Brent and Becky's bulb site. Those need to be planted in spring, to bloom this year. Then either dug up in fall, or treated like an annual.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 1:21PM
yugoslava

Anemone Coronaria or wind flowers survive winter in z6. Mine are white, I wonder if there are some other colours. They are pretty little flowers and last several weeks but what I've noticed after 6 or 7 years they are not spreading and the number of anemones is getting smaller. I'm curious why they are not multiplying.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 10:37PM
yugoslava

CORRECTION! CORRECTION! Anemone Blanda overwinters not anemone coronaria. Sorry to mislead anyone.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™