Help with possible problem

paulad449(6)November 10, 2012

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and bonsai. I got this tiger bar ficus about a month ago. Now it has some strange mottling on some of the leaves. Otherwise, it seems fine. I am hoping it isn't mosaic virus, so if anyone has seen this before any advice or help would be great.

The tree has changed environments since I got it. They had it outside & over-watered it. Since I got it its been indoor under fluorescent lighting. Since the soil was so wet I've only had to water it once but I use distilled water.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moochinka

Hi, don't use distilled water, all the micronutrients (chemicals) and everything else is gone and may be needed. You can use tap water (or collected) if you can drink it.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:07PM
paulad449(6)

Thank you. I was using tap water but it was leaving deposits on the pots so I switched. But I'll go back now.

I was just worried it was mosaic, especially since this ficus is near 16 other plants!

Appreciate your help.

Danielle

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 5:44AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Hi, Danielle - Distilled water, water from a dehumidifier, snowmelt, or water filtered through a reverse osmosis filter are all healthy choices for your plants. Any of those choices allow you to know exactly what ratio of nutrients you're supplying your plant - with no guessing, and that is a good thing.

What are you using for fertilizer? It's very likely the condition is related to over-watering or the recent reduction in light. Ask, if you want the technical reasons for that conclusion. I'm not sure how deep you want to get into the plant's care, but I have a good number of Ficus bonsai (25?), all of which I manage to keep very healthy, so I'm pretty sure I could offer you some guidance if you're still around.

Al

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 2:50PM
paulad449(6)

Hi Al,

Thanks for commenting. Please give all the technical reasons you want. I need all the help I can get.

I've had the tiger bark ficus for almost a month. It was extremely over-watered at the place I bought it, so you're right there. I just repotted it in your gritty mix. I haven't fertilized yet, as I'm waiting for my foliage pro to be delivered.

I was worried it had mosaic, when I started seeing the mottled leaves. It still has a few of those but there are no deformed leaves, which was noted when I was researching the virus.

In any event - in the hope that it's just chlorosis I did get Bonide liquid iron today. Since you obviously have experience with ficus, what would you suggest I do next? Use the Iron or wait for the foliage pro?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:29AM
thehodge

Another thing about ficus is they cant get too much sun . I leave mine out on the porch during the summer and it does great with only 3 hours of direct sunlight. I dont know for sure but its possible that its broad fleshy leaves are getting too much light from your flourecent light.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 12:16PM
thehodge

Another thing about ficus is they cant get too much sun . I leave mine out on the porch during the summer and it does great with only 3 hours of direct sunlight. I dont know for sure but its possible that its broad fleshy leaves are getting too much light from your flourecent light.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
bonsai a large outdoor camellia?
Someone long ago planted this camellia much too close...
Kristin
Fukien Tea in bloom!
Brand new to Bonsai but my Fukien Tea has started opening...
DavidL.ca
PLEASE HELP MY BONSAI!
Hi, I've had my bonsai for a year, ligustrum, it was...
nicoleaspen24
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
Tips for new owner of an Australian Brush Cherry?
I came across a 18-inch-tall Australian Brush Cherry...
Ohiofem
Sponsored Products
TOTO Small Rectangular Undercounter Lavatory w/ SanaGloss
Modern Bathroom
Lotus Zinc Garden Torch with Trellis Floor Stand - Weathered Zinc
Signature Hardware
Textured Lines Rug 10' x 14' - MUSHROOM
$4,599.00 | Horchow
Rotating Pot by Menu
$69.95 | Lumens
3-Pc. Colorful Cutlery Set - Multi Color
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Mohawk Home Rugs Ankara Ruby 3 ft. 4 in.
$69.00 | Home Depot
Comfort Dreams Select-A-Firmness 14-inch King-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Atlantis Tubs 3672PDL Polaris 36 x 72 x 23 - Inch Rectangular Air & Whirlpool Je
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™