Bulbs from old homestead.

yellowdog5May 21, 2009

I dug some jonquils and another type of spring bulb from and old homestead several days ago. I left part of the leaves on and put them in a large tub containing planting mix, 5 or 6 inches under the dirt. I plan on putting them into planters. Should I go ahead and put them in the planters now., since they have already been dug up, or should I wait until later this summer, and leave them in the dirt for now? I realize that ideally they should be dug up in late summer, but I had to get them now if I wanted them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

I'd wait until later so the bulbs get the benefit of fresh mix and food for growing on over winter-spring.

Another plus would be - usuing your planters over summer for a different display and then refreshing with the bulbs and hardy cover plants for winter-spring.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 8:59PM
yellowdog5

OK, should I water or fertilize at this time?

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 10:40AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If you had to break roots - and trim back the leaves - there's not much growing system left to cope with plentiful water or food. Rot is likely at one end or t'other if you're generous.

Unless you know you're going to get little or no rain for a few months to come - stick with the rainfall you get, so long as your container is well-drained (generous holes, clear of the ground).

While there are still leaves you could give something like a very dilute liquid fertiliser that is evenly balanced. The potash in the mix helps the bulb to harden off and form buds for the following year.

Let the holding tub's mix gradually dry off over the summer so the bulbs go into dormancy. Once they're hardened off and have good insulation from the soil, they don't mind being dry.

If your mix has Those Water Crystals (humph!) added, be particularly careful with watering - far more frugal than you'd be with a plain mix.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™