Major Gladiolus problem

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)May 17, 2013

I grow glads. each year and always have the problem of frosts before they fully bloom. I read that the corms could be started early in a shallow bowl of water to get a head start. Of course I did that and just about the time they should have been planted we had a frost, and very cool weather since. It has finally warmed up today, and I have these corms, still in water, lots of roots, and many of them more than 1 foot tall. Question: do I need to harden them off before putting them out? That may take another week to ten days and heaven knows if they will survive that long just in water. Also, what about planting depth, still 5 inches? Any advice. I'll hate to lose them all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

Can you put them in a pot temporarily? You could put multiples in, they won't grow enough roots that you couldn't easily separate them.

I'd leave the planting depth the same.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 3:24PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I always just kept them in the basement (when I lived in OH) until it was warm enough to put them in the ground.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:13PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Thanks for your suggestions. Pots were not an option because I just don't have room for them. My living room window area is already filled. Purpleinopp, that's what I usually do but I wanted to get a head start so I can enjoy the blooms. In my area, the blooms usually start in September and are hit by frost. Anyway, we had a warm, wet day today and I went out and put them all in - 22 corms including some I overwintered from the last 2 years. I was amazed at how well they all grew. But the weather is crazy this year, lows of 5 degrees expected in a few days. So I don't know what Mother Nature has in store. I hope they survive.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 2:32AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Great job on keeping them (and multiplying them) so far!

Oh that sounds frustrating, quite a bit of difference between where I was in 5b central OH and where you are - much earlier frost. FWIW, down here they are about finished already - those established in previous years. I did add some new ones that are just coming up with foliage, but I don't expect those to bloom this year. Ya' never know though...

I know the crowded indoor/winter conditions all too well! It's tough deciding what to save when space is at a premium. At least in OH I had a basement for cold/dormant storage. Here, it's either inside or outside.

If you get an inside line on what Mother Nature has in store, you'll make millions!!

Sending good vibes to your bulbs!

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™