Gone Out of Business!!

mganga_mulapali(MD)November 29, 2006

I wonder if any clubs or persons have found a good way to dispose of a collection of someone who is unable to care for their trees, or has died. Touchy subject, but as I look around I see a lot of elderly artists and old collections. I have seen and had to care for collections after the death of a person who passed away, and family and friends were not interested in maintaining the collection. In some cases an attempt was made, but after seeing the work watering, pruning and winterizing, the person gave up and abandoned the trees or contacted the club for disposal.

Has anyone or a club found a good way to pre-plan for their demise and the disposession of the collection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonsai_audge

I personally haven't had to deal with this sort of situation, but I have heard that "redistribution" of bonsai is generally best through the person's club or through close bonsai friends/aquaintances. Family may or may not be the best method (as you mentioned, as members may not be particularly interested/skilled/devoted). Another way is to a local (public) bonsai collection, perhaps at a conservatory or arboretum.

- Audric

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 7:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineslayer

In my experience, people tend to auction the bonsai. It is the fairest way of redistributing the trees, and serves the added benefit of raising some case (in some cases a LOT of cash) for survivors who would otherwise not be interested in the trees.

- Alex
www.bonsainut.com

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
New nursery stock Japanese Maple Shania help pls
Hi everyone... I was at a local nursery this weekend...
RGodman
How long for wiring?
When using wires to shape a tree, typically, how long...
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
My bonsai seedling
Okay so I recieved a bonsai kit for Christmas from...
mikyt
aerial roots
I have a sheflera bonsai that sprouted a number of...
davidfromdetroit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™