So, can you overwinter Glads...?

primavera_growerMay 31, 2009

I read that you should dig up glads after they die back, but then in another place I read you could overwinter them. Because my zone is pretty warm, could I just leave them in the ground to overwinter instead of digging them up? And at one point are they supposed to be divided?

Enlighten me please.

-A seminewbie.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Yes, in your zone you can just leave them in the ground - cutting the stalks down once they brown out and die back in the fall.

Each year, the glad produces one large new corm and many cormlets - eventually the little cormlets will produce new plants which will take several years to reach blooming size. When new plants have established, you can dig them up in the fall and simply respace them to keep them from crowding eachother out.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 9:10AM
primavera_grower

Nice!! Does that apply to freesias too? Can I leave them in the ground as well? Or no? I'm planting then in the fall. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 5:26PM
duluthinbloomz4

We don't see freesias here - except at florists.

Freesias are hardy in zones 9-10 so they could be more work for you. They might survive in the ground if you plant them in a protected area and mulch them over the winter.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 4:06PM
emilyobx

My glads come back every year and multiply too. I am trying freesias for the first time this year and plan to try to leave them in the ground. We'll see what happens.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 1:26PM
Maryl zone 7a

Definitely Glads can be perennial in our zones. Not just the species Glads, but the florist Glads as well.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™