Question about colchicums.

Jason_D_B(9a NE FL)May 21, 2012

Can colchicums grow and bloom successfully in zone 9? If not do I refigerate them like tulips? How many hours? Do they need to be cold when they bloom like tulips? Would it be easier to force them in fall and let them grow in winter when the temps are usually in the 20's to 30's at night?

-Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smivies

Are your summers dry enough?

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 9:44AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Yes - some of the species definitely grow in zone 9a or higher. They do better with excellent drainage and good sun otherwise the flowers fall over and look lanky.

You can leave them inground to multiply until they get overcrowded - then lift and thin out. It can take several years to reach this point.

Plant out in July on to November in fine grass, or under high deciduous trees, or in normal beds. No chilling required at all. Just get them in before they start flowering if possible. They'll flower out of the ground, with no soil at all.

They flower first. Die down. Then the leaves come up weeks later and last over winter before going dormant for summer.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 6:53AM
Jason_D_B(9a NE FL)

our summers are dry to the extent that bulbous plants love it, that is untill a hurricane comes through (Theres a tropical depression only hours away)
Vetivert: thank you for the info! I'm going to buy them when they come in to the stores.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 7:28PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

smivies - what makes you ask about dry summers? Have I missed something? Colchicums grow fine here and they certainly get plenty of rain all year round.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 1:34PM
oleg9grower

Sorry, they are wild in the United Kingdom? Here we have wildly growing C. autumnale. August, we are usually dry and warm month.
In my garden grow C. bizantinum , C. speciosum, C. sieboldii, which are found wild in the Mediterranean.
And because there is very dry and hot summer!

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 4:06PM
wieslaw59

Colchicum autumnale is a plant of wet meadows in Central Europe.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 6:00PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Sorry I missed your question, Oleg. No, they are not native in the UK but are quite widely grown in gardens.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 5:08AM
More Discussions
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™