Daffodils did not bloom

carrieleMay 12, 2010

Hi. I got very few blooms from my daffodils this year. I know that I should have left the foliage intact until it died off naturally and this is probably why the lack of blooms. My question is this, I will let the foliage die off naturally this year, so will I get blooms next year or have I damaged these bulbs and should just discard them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi carriele,

Welcome to The Bulb Forum!

My question is this, I will let the foliage die off naturally this year, so will I get blooms next year or have I damaged these bulbs and should just discard them?
If you leave the foliage in tact to die off naturally, you 'may' get more blooms next year. Very few blooms this spring could have been as a result of numerous things. One of the main reasons, in my opinion anyway, that daffs don't bloom, is that they are crowded and need dug, divided, and then replanted with good spacing between the bulbs.

If your daffs are in 'clumps' once the foliage has died back a good bit, you might want to try digging up a clump to see how many bulbs there are. If you have a lot of foliage, yet few blooms, chances are they are too crowded. You can then either replant the bulbs immediately, or else you can dry them and store them until proper planting time in the fall once the soil temperature has cooled.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodils Not Blooming?...could be numerous reasons

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 5:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marys_garden_patch

What zone are you in? Sometimes it depends on the weather. When I lived in Zone 7 mild winters would definitely result in fewer blooms.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
daves10z7annv
tulips not growing properly
i planted many many tulips for a client in a raised...
bernadettehinds
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™