Wiring & Repotting A Cedar

ryan.bNovember 27, 2006

Hey, I have recently purchased a Cedar (Atlas I think) approx 400mm High with a trunk of about 15-20mm. It is still in its nursery pot. I have began to prunn it back, But wanted some advice on when I should start wiring it to shape the branches & also re-pot it. I have heard that Cedars are sensitive to root disturbance, and wire & re-potting at the same time might put to much stress on the plant. Would it be better of to wire it first & shape it whilst its still in the large pot Then wait till next spring or so to re-pot it. ANy help would be appreciated.

Regards

Ryan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gw:dave-b

Hey GW
I....Do Not... have any experiance with this particular cedar , I do have a couple of Deodor Cedar in the ground.
I think you would be safe wiring it anytime. I would caution ,wait until spring to repot. Even then, give some thought to , Is the trunk as big as you want it ? It's sure not going to grow very fast once it is in a Bonsai pot.
Sorry , but the mms are lost on me , It may be a huge tree for all I know.
All the Best.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 6:54PM

Sorry Ryan I missread , your name

Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 9:11AM
gw:ryan_b

Thanks for that Dave, sorry I'm in Australian, work in the metric, its about 1 foot 6inches high & the trunk is about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. lower branches are about 1/4 inch thick. Its just towards the end of our spring now so I might wire it up & leave it till next spring. what is the usually a good period to leave it wire for it to affect the branch structure enough so it will hold its position.

Cheers mate

Ryan

Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 5:01PM

Ryan
You can still wire it , just keep a close eye on the wire , as you are going into your growing season. Your tree ,hopefully will be growing , inside those wire coils. You don't want any ugly wiring scars. Maybe wire a little looser.
As to how long , I don't think there's a set time . I usually just leave the wire on till it starts getting snug, then cut it off . If the limb stays where I want it, I'm in business, if not, I rewire it.
Sorry for my ignorance of the whole rest ot the world and the metric system
G-Day Mate

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
From seedling
I was just wondering how do I grow my plant into a...
Shivam Shetty
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
root pruning saws
Hi everybody, can anybody show me a picture & give...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™