Newbie Questions...

greenthumbzdudeNovember 14, 2013

Hi,
I just recently became interested in bonsai. I have a few questions to ask since I can't seem to find a straight answers elsewhere. My first question is what kind of soil mix is best for bonsai? How do you create this mix? Also, can bonsai be kept outdoors all year in zone 6b? Do you need to keep the trees in full sun or shade? At what point do you start training a seedling into a bonsai? Also, how do Castanea species hold up as bonsai's. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

gtd,

Your answers cab be found with GardenWeb seaches. Put in "Bonsai Soil Mix" in the search block top right. You will be able to read several threads and what makes good bonsai soil. Second question, you need to specify what trees you are writing about. Since Bonsai are just trees in containers, you can search the container forum as well for care of certain trees you care about. What City is closest to you (Zone 6b).
There are seven types of Castenea (Chestnut Trees) which type are you describing. In my opinion, all would do fine as bonsai. Check out this link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=castenea+bonsai&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Aloha

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
great nebari
Hello everyone, I am starting to experiment with ways...
halocline
My bonsai seedling
Okay so I recieved a bonsai kit for Christmas from...
mikyt
my bonsai lossing its green leaves !
Hello dears , I've brought a very lovely bonsai tree...
sara03
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™