Starting elephant ear from bulb

kristinacatfishMay 8, 2007

Hi, I have had 2 smaller "elephant ears" that I've kept in water for the past 2 years and they do great.

I recieved a giant bulb thats called "elephant ear magnum" and I need to know how to start it. Should I start it in aquatic potting soil, in water, or reg potting soil? What kind of pot? Does it need lots of room in the pot?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I waited for more experienced gardeners to respond and none have, to date. If I had a large elephant ear bulb I would put it in fertile, fibrous, water retentive soil in a one gallon pot and move it to a 5 gallon pot after it is going good. I think it would do best when daytime temps. get to 80 degrees or more and was put in very bright light, or light shade, and out of strong winds. I do think they can take full sun if they are at a pond's edge but have only grown one or two in pots, years ago.

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 9:57PM
Nancy zone 6

My grandmother-in-law used to grow tremendous size elephant ears, I've never seen them grow like hers. She planted some of them in ground, which did well, but left some in large pots to bring in her sitting room in the fall. The bulbs filled the pots. The plants were almost ceiling height, just tremendous. She used regular potting soil, often mixed with garden soil. I don't think she fertilized them or anything, just kept them watered well. I've grown them in the ground, they do moderately well even without regular watering. I've never gotten anything nearly the size she did though, but I think her bulbs were the type you are talking about, & mine just regular size.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 10:13AM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Actually, I think the bulbs are of the taro plant, which the Hawaians use to make Poi. They are very poisonous, unless prepared properly. The plant does get ceiling high, at least.

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™