How to keep dug up daffs for a week and a half?

linnea56(z5 IL)May 18, 2011

I dug some daffodils I want to bring to a swap in a week and a half. They are tightly packed clumps, most of a dozen or more bulbs. They finished blooming a few weeks ago, and foliage is still very green. Is there anything I need to do to "keep" them for that space of time? I assume I should not split them up until I am ready to take them to the swap. THanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

I don't know for sure, but what I would do is, since the foliage is still green, set them where they can get some sun for the next week. Seems to me they need to continue to build up as much as they can to bloom next year.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 8:08PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

You don't indicate you are going to pot them up before swapping. If you are going to swap them one bulb at a time without potting them, I would take the whole clump with the soil attached and divide them as you swap them. The person getting the bulb should plant it as soon as he gets home to let it continue to feed the bulb for next season. Al

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 11:53PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

No, I was not going to pot them. The most I was going to do was break up the more massive clumps (~ 12 bulbs), and probably not til the day of the swap. I figured they would stay "fresher" that way. I figured I should stand them up in a plastic tub, and not let them dry out completely.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™