my bulbs are rooting..?

ladybugsmom192(9)May 6, 2012

hi there! i'm a gardener but new to bulbs, at least starting them from the bulb itself. actually i had much success starting some miniature dahlias from seeds last season. i'm not sure if i should post here on in the CA forum.

anyway, i succumbed to the bulb rack at my local HD. i've always wanted to try them, and figured i'd experiment on the HD ones and work the kinks out, before i get into the ones i really want from catalogs.

so, with that said, i have some dahlias (dinnerplate mix and arabian night), gladiolas, lillies (stargazer), and tigridia mix. i got them in march, kept them in my cool garage, and then had been hospitalized for several weeks on 3 separate occasions. so only now can i plant them.

my question is is it too late? some have root shoots already is that bad? it's the dahlias, they're in a dirt mix of some kind. the tigridia bulbs seem dried out. the glad's seem ok, but can't remember how they were before i got sick. the stargazer is definitely rooting. they all say they are second or third season bloomers if that means anything to you.

any information, recommendations, or suggestions will be extremely appreciated as i am still, at this late date, trying to plan my flower garden.

thanks!

angela :)

what should or can i do? i was so excited when i got them

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Your lilies and tigridias should have been planted a month or two ago. Plant them now and hope for the best. The dahlias and glads will be fine planted now. These are all full sun plants, so I hope your location can provide that. Sorry about your hospital stays and hope that is all over. Al

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Sponsored Products
Crystorama 1525-MC Galaxy Chandelier - 16W in. - Midnight Chrome - 1525-MC
$598.00 | Hayneedle
Thomas Kinkade Make A Wish Cottage 10 1/4" Pendant Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Cocoa My Life 25" Spinner
$375.00 | Horchow
Kayde Wall Sconce by Kichler
$137.50 | Lumens
Robert Abbey Amethyst Triple Gourd Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus