soil sieve for screening pink bark fines

kandhi(z7VA)February 20, 2011

Can this soil sieve set that is available on amazon.com be used for screening pinebark fines? is this a good bargain?

http://www.amazon.com/Soil-Sieve-Stainless-Steel-diameter/dp/B0007P4JAU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1298237834&sr=1-1

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Here's an active link: Soil Sieve on Amazon

Those screens look fairly small, but I don't know what the mesh-sizes are in inches.
I use 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch screens primarily.

Josh

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 8:19PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I think they would be ok for screening the fines out of Turface or calcined DE, the dust out of granite, and they're likely ok for the low (small) side of bark fines, but you'll probably want at least 1 larger screen for the bark - 3/8 or maybe even 1/2" would work as your largest screen.

I have a number of tools by Joshua Roth, a very respected manufacturer of quality bonsai tools, so the price is a fair one.

Al

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 9:15PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hey Kandhi!!

I looked for your email to send you some names of nurseries..you had said in another thread that you may be visiting VB soon...you can send me an email lmjusa@yahoo.com and i will provide a list of my favorites...CHeers! To a fellow Virginian!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 1:38AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Sorry to be so confused about this screening thing. I think I've read about a dozen threads about this. Could you guys clarify what you use each of these sizes for one more time? I think you're saying you use fine screens like these (described as 1/10th to 1/4 inch wide) to screen out fine particles in Turface that you don't use in the gritty mix. In other words, you discard what goes through the screen. Then you use a larger screen of up to 1/2 inch to screen bark for either mix, and you only use the bark that goes through the screen in your mix, discarding what stays on top. Is that right?

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 8:55AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Best for:

The 5:1:1 mix

Partially composed pine bark in dust to 1/2", uncomposted works fine, too

sphagnum peat - lumps broken up - I push mine through a 1'2" screen

coarse perlite, if available (if not, medium is fine)

Gritty mix

Pine bark screened to 1/8 -3/8 (some 1/2" included is ok if leaving it in eliminates an extra step)
or
fir bark in 1/8-1/4"

Turface screened over insect screen (fines that pass through the screen used elsewhere)

crushed granite - Gran-I Grit in grower size or #2 cherrystone. A brief screening over insect screen to remove the dust. Particle size of these products is usually about 1/8-1/4

The idea is to keep the particle sizes of the inorganic fraction of the gritty mix as close to 1/8" as possible. The bark should be a little larger to allow for some breakdown over 2-3 years.

Al

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™