Onion seedling medium

Natures_Nature(5 OH)February 18, 2014

I planned on sowing onion seeds thickly in a plain ole' six pack seedling flats like the ones you buy most veggie seedlings in, then seperate their tangled roots come spring and plant them out... I seen people do this with a peat based medium, but i understand the consensus here would probably be the 511, or gritty mix. I was just worried about the bark slicing in the fragile tangled onion seedlings while trying to untangle them come transplant time... Should i stick with a peat based for this(i always use at least half perlite), or.. What do you guys start onion seedlings in?

Thanks,

Nature

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Natures_Nature(5 OH)

Anyone? You guys use 5-1-1 or gritty mix for onion seedlings? What do you use to start your seeds in? Al, do you start veggie seedlings? If so, what do you use?

I'm not concerned with the plants growing, im concerned about seperating the fine, fragile, tangled onion roots. I know people start onions this way all the time in soft peat mediums, but how would the fragile roots fair with the rough bark comes seperating them?

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 12:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

I just use peat-based commercial potting soil.

To separate the plants, take the whole bundle out of the pot cell, potting soil and all, and gently swirl the roots in a bucket of water, washing out the soil. When they're still wet, gently pull the plants apart. You'll break a few roots, but not very many.

You'd want to plant them out pretty quickly - once the roots dry out, they're toast. I keep the plants wrapped up in damp paper towel as I'm setting them out.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™