Ficus Enigma

head_cutterDecember 12, 2009

But also interesting.

Anywhere a species of tree grows in profusion you are bound to have 'sports' coming out, this ficus is no exception. It strongly resembles a ficus b. in most respects, also a Port Jackson along with a few others. What sets it apart are a few strange charicteristics all of it's own.

When the new foliage unfolds it comes out curled and twisted. It's also a reddish/bronze color for a few days up to a week before turning the normal green.

Unlike my other ficus defoliation seems to do nothing but piss it off--in retaliation it throws larger leaves??

It also stinks, ficus b./foetid?

I have others growing in water and there is no problem. This one (even changing the water every few days) turns the water into a stinking brackish mess overnight.

Jerry M. and I have chatted about it and he's still chuckling.

How bad does the water stink? Soooo bad that the mosquitos won't even lay eggs in it, ya...that bad.

And this was the tree I was working to plant in the water pot in the front room. Ya, I'm re-thinking that!!

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_turtles

Very interesting story and I do like this particular ficus specimen . I've been trying to figure out how to order Jerry's two books on Ficus and Indoor Bonsai ...

Bookmark   December 12, 2009 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
American Hornbeam: Leaf Damage, Possible Pest Problem, Need Help!
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading this post and...
ZeBonsai Kers
great nebari
Hello everyone, I am starting to experiment with ways...
halocline
Weeping Willow....
The old Thread that I posted on this Weeping Willow...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
My bonsai (ficus microcarpa ginseng) is dying/dead with no leaves
So I bought a ficus microcarpa from Ikea. Day 2- The...
elty
Bonsai Beginner help: Juniper, Eugenia, and Fukien Tea
Hi there, I'm new to the Bonsai world (currently succulent...
DavidL.ca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™