Hyacinthoides hispanica & Ipheion uniflorum INVASIVE in SoCal?

aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)May 3, 2010

Hello! I was considering buying some bulbs of Hyacinthoides hispanica & Ipheion uniflorum, but I hear varying accounts of them being invasive (or not...)

Do you think they would be a nightmare invasive in my zone? or would the spread pleasantly? I was considering putting the ipheion in my small lawn... the hyacinthoides in my flower bed.

zone 9-10 southern california, southwestern 18.

Thanks for your help,

Aimee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I can verify the ipheion as being amazingly rampant. I confine it to a pot and still need to throw out handfuls every year. I also have a named cultivar (Wisley Blue ?) and it has not gotten out of hand (also in a pot).

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 12:51AM
aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)

Thanksn Iris gal!
it seems like I should avoid ipheion... but that other named cultivars might be ok?

Any more experiences with either?

neither of them is listed on the CA invastive plant list
http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/index.php

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 6:37PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Hyacinthoides hispanica is one of the worst weeds in my garden. I was just digging and pulling more of it today. Yes, it is pretty until it spreads all over and smothers more desirable plants with it's thick foliage.

We didn't plant it. The bulbs were dormant under the sod when we removed the sod and created beds it sprang up in all of them.

I was stupid enough to plant the lily of the valley and muscari that are also extremely invasive here.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 6:44PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If your lawn grass is fairly fine and gets reasonable sun another possible could be Sparaxis for patches of colour, though not blue.

If your summer isn't too brutal then Anemone blanda and Chionodoxa can give that spring splash of blue.

Later on, provided you don't mind deadheading, dwarf Agapanthus can give a good run of blue, too.

I would definitely avoid planting bluebells of any persuasion, Ipheion, and Muscari, if I couldn't get back each year and keep their Garden Thug tendencies under control. Pots and annual thinning seem to work best.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 6:33AM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™