Worth Letting Daffodills Go To Seed?

ken_mce(zone 4, NY)May 29, 2010

My daffodills are hard at work trying to make seed heads. Let's say I let them, let the seeds sprout. Will the new plants be anything worth having around?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunandshadow

It takes a few years for a bulb seed to develop enough to produce a flower. So you might get nice flowers from the seeds in 3-4 years.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 2:42AM
ken_mce(zone 4, NY)

Will they be an attractive flower, or will they revert to some tiny, boring, wild form?

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 5:36PM
sunandshadow

Do you have only one kind planted, or multiple kinds that are the same species? If you have only one kind planted I would expect at least half the offspring to look the same as the parents. You might get a few throwbacks (boring maybe, but not tiny because the tiny ones are mostly a different species than the large ones, not a wild form of them), but just discard any you don't like the first time they bloom. If you have multiple kinds of the same species you might get a big mix.

Personally I really like seeing any new crosses and mutants each year. I got almost 30 varieties of tulips, planted them all together, and am collecting the seed to germinate it and see what I get. :)

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™