can I heel in daffodil bulbs? How to label?

curlylindsayMay 3, 2013

Long story short, I ended up not being able to plant a large order of bulbs this winter, so stuck them in planters around my house and was thrilled with the result- beautiful pots bursting with daffodils in early spring!

But now I want the daffodils out so summer flowers can go in. I know daffodils need to keep their tops to store energy for next year's bloom- can I gently dig these up and then heel them in in an area of less prime real estate till fall? (I think I'll want to put them back in the planters, for next spring!) Will they tolerate that handling and bloom next year?

Also wondering how to label them in the ground. Any ideas that would work to label varieties, which ones didn't bloom this year, etc?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Heeling them in will work fine, I do it all the time with stray bulbs that show up in unexpected spots. Don't know what to tell you about labeling, mine are usually mixed, if they're seperate colors I just Plant them a little bit apart and dig them just as the leaves begin to yellow, that way I get most of the bulbs.... (Most of them) That's why I have the stray bulbs in the first place!

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 10:48AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Also wondering how to label them in the ground.
What are the names of some of your cultivars? Many will not bloom in zone 10, even though they did for you this first year.

Sue

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 11:16AM
curlylindsay

For some reason my browser keeps auto-filling the blank for zone as "10", I'm actually in MO - 6b!
I've thought about it and I'm going to try heeling them in in small groups in onion bags (poly mesh) with a popsicle stick with the necessary info on it.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
surprise crocus
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This spring blooming...
forest
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Sponsored Products
2-Circuit Monorail 500W Single Feed Surface Transformer
Lightology
Welland Pressure Balance Tub & Shower Set With Lever Handle
Signature Hardware
Sylvania 60W PAR30 Long Neck Halogen Reflector Bulb, 120V
LBC Lighting
Calvin 10 1/2" Wide White Outdoor Twin Flood Light
$37.35 | Lamps Plus
Flat Weave Grey/ Brown Wool Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Safavieh Area Rug: Cambridge Black/Ivory 2' x 3'
$41.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™