Dutch Iris

cassieinmass(6)May 11, 2009

I have some dutch Iris that I planted today. Im in zone 6. Will I have to dig them up in the fall or can they overwinter where I am? -Cassie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I'm pretty sure you'll have to dig them in the fall and replant in early spring.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 8:00PM
Nancy zone 6

Dutch iris are perennial to zone 5. I did read on this forum recently that they decline after a few years so you have to replant. That hasn't been so for me. I was thinking earlier this spring that mine might need to be divided, they seem to be quite thick. My blue ones have certainly returned dependably for at least 4 years. I planted a package of yellow ones about 4 years ago, this year I counted 6.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 8:09AM
hepatica_z7

I've had mixed results with Dutch Iris coming back. In my heavy soil, they have only come back where they are planted on a slope--and even there, not vigorously. I did hear that they need excellent drainage. How is your soil, cassieinmass?

Anyone else have advice on these beauties? They bloom in the gap between the tulips and the perennials, plus they are so lovely. I once had orange oriental poppies, Alaska shasta daisies, and blue Dutch Iris blooming together. It was a stunning combination, but the iris didn't come back in that spot.

hepatica

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™