Help with scrawny Ponytail Palm

hotmessDecember 5, 2012

I need some help with what I think is a Ponytail Palm. I have seen lovely pictures of others, however mine looks so thin and scraggly. Is there some help for it to become nice and full and curly? It has 3 shoots growing from the top where the leaves grow from rather than the one growth spot at the top that I have seen in other plants. Will some sort of pruning encourage fuller growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bassistjon112(6)

It looks like it needs more light, I would add some kind of supplemental lighting such as a fluorescent bulb.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 3:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

hm,

I had one of these when I lived in Hawaii. I had it outside in partial sun(on the lanai)and it grew huge at the base. I believe the width of the pot will regulate the size of the trunk if given good sun and proper care when you can in the spring. The three tops are from chopping the top. It looks like that was done. You could remove two of the tops to get back to one if you want, but I think it is fine as is. Take a Dremel tool and shape up the top trunk cut to look more natural. Enjoy and Merry Xmas. Aloha

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
New Chinese elm
Hi, I received a nice chinese elm bonsai as a gift....
doomahx
New Bonsai Azalea Budding in Winter- Halp!
I just got an Azalea bonsai for Christmas and it was...
emcc123
Need help Identifying this...
I recently got this Bonsai as a gift and would like...
kcolborne
My bonsai (ficus microcarpa ginseng) is dying/dead with no leaves
So I bought a ficus microcarpa from Ikea. Day 2- The...
elty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™