How to treat Hippeastrum bulbs?

madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)May 6, 2012

Help! I belong to a Master Gardener association in orthern Alabama and we just got a donation of about 50 pots of Hippeastrum bulbs, already potted up - each pot has between 1 and 12 bulbs. Nearly all are already dormant. We have our annual sale in late April and if possible I would like to time the next flowering for then. So -

1) How should the bulbs be treated between now and then? When should we repot them?

2) To get them to bloom at the proper time, what should we do?

I am completely unfamiliar with these bulbs and your help is very appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
webuser_17497

repost this on the amaryllis/hippeastrum forum i know they can help. for question 2 you need to chill them so many weeks befor you want them to bloom. but like i said repost it over there those guys are awsome.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 1:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

My first Amaryllis/hippeastrum are just starting to bloom. They will gradually bloom for the next month. I have about 25 all in one gallon pots. Kept in part shade they do well in our climate. With a lot of small bulbs you should not expect bloom for a few years. The timing of the bloom cycle requires forcing dormancy and bringing them out of dormancy when bloom is desired, usually around Christmas. Al

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
av3108
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™