Potted Perennial Vine for Pergola

dubbFebruary 14, 2014

Say that 3 times fast...Potted Perennial Vine for Pergola. Haha!

We're thinking about purchasing a wood pergola to replace our canopy-style gazebo on our cement patio. This is the pergola we're looking at right now because it's attractive, arched, looks sturdy, and is relatively affordable:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Yardistry-Arched-Roof-Tugboat-with-Plinth-Cedar-12-ft-x-12-ft-Pergola-YM11635/204188935?N=5yc1vZc6nv

So I guess the first question is, does this pergola look okay for vine coverage?

Second, would a potted vine work well year after year to cover a pergola? I'd put large pots inside each corner of the pergola (or less if that's advised).

Third, what sort of quick-growing perennial vines (that would survive in a container) would you recommend for a wood pergola?

Fourth, would you plant a variety of vines, or just one?

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the many questions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

dub, if Bougainvillea will grow to your satisfaction and you do not mind the thorns, that will be a good choice.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 4:16PM
charlieboring

Dub - I have a pergola over part of my patio. I planted fuzzy kiwi last spring to act as cover. They should grow well in NC. Here is a picture.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 7:24AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

One vine for a 12x12. Possibly 2 in the front corners. Depends upon the mature size of the vine. 12x12 may be exterior measurement and is not that big with chairs and people. The pot needs to be 18 inches deep and those are usually 17-18" across --- there goes a foot and a half.

Fast growing vines means "monster".

'Renae' climbing polyanthus rose is nearly thornless and 10-15 feet (pale pink). 'Raspberry Cream Twirl' is another nearly thornless climbing rose about 10ft. and striped dark pink. A clematis could go in the 2nd corner. With a pale pink rose I'd use a med. pink clematis and with a dark colored rose either light or dark clematis.

Hopefully someone with your climate will chime in. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™