How to store newly bought Caladium bulbs?

kris2001(6a - s.e.PA)May 2, 2009

Hi

I bought some caladium (some 50 bulbs for $14) at Sams club this year. I planted half and wanna store other half.

Can I store the other half for next year? Will they be ok to grow next year if so how do I store the bulbs?

Thanks-kris ...sePA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubba62

The tubers probably won't last that long in storage and retain viability. Better to grow them all out and dig to save for next year in the fall. BTW - it's still a little early to be planting caladiums outside, even here. Being truly tropical, they'll just sit there (or worse yet, rot) until the soil temperature warms up.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 3:33AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I agree, they will not be any good if they are stored for an entire year.

You do know that the ones you plant this year, can be dug this fall, and stored for the winter and then grown again next year, don't you?

I guess if you did not want to dig them, you could plant them in a big pot, and then just overwinter the whole pot in an area between 60 and 75 degrees.

Sue...chemocurl

Here is a link that might be useful: Digging and storing caladiums...at the bottom.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 1:38PM
cynthianovak

If you planted yours outdoors....AND you've had lots of rain and / or a frost you might want to poke around and be certain those you planted are OK. I'm zone 7b/8a and I'm still waiting to plant. They are happiest when the soil temps are about 70 degrees or even warmer.

They look really good when they are planted close together and as others have said, you can dig them up and store them for winter after they've replenished this year.

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™