Planting Freshly Dug Tulips

michelleluvsirises(5- IA)May 13, 2009

I will be digging a few hundred tulip bulbs next week and would like to know if once I dig them, can I just plant them right away or is it best to store them until the leaves and stems dry up then plant them in the fall? Every year, the town I live in gives all of its tulips away to residents following our Tulip Festival BUT they must be removed before they have the chance to die back naturally. Typically, I dry all bulbs, stems and leaves over the summer and then plant in the fall but this year, I would like to cheat by diggin & replanting them the same day - allowing them to die back in the ground as intended. Does anyone know if this would work? Is it better to follow my regular procedure?

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I would like to cheat by diggin & replanting them the same day - allowing them to die back in the ground as intended. Does anyone know if this would work? Is it better to follow my regular procedure?
I would think that following your regular procedure would be best, if that has worked in the past. Maybe you could try a few the new way, and do the majority the old way.

The problem with resetting them right away, is that they have not gone dormant naturally, and could rot if they got too wet, or bake if too wet and hot. That is why it is always advised to not plant the daffs and other fall planted bulbs until the soil has cooled a good bit.

Sue...chemocurl

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™