Foliage

burwoodbelle(6-7)May 1, 2011

The foliage is starting to fall over on my daffs ,How long till I can cut them dowm.Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The ideal practice is to leave the foliage intact and in place until it ripens, dries and dies off naturally. The foliage is needed for photosynthesis, which is required for the bulbs to regenerate their energy reserves that are stored in the bulbs during their dormant period and produce next season's flowers.

Ripening bulb foliage is not very attractive and there is a strong urge to remove it as soon as it becomes ratty looking :-) But the bulbs need it. Generally, 6-8 weeks after bloom is considered the minimum period necessary for the remaining foliage to do its job, so try not to cut back or remove before this time has lapsed.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 11:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxanna(z5b MA)

Pat -- if you have space, grow daylilies near your daffs -- they allow daff foliage to ripen naturally and then cover up the really unsightly yellow-brown daff leaves. as the daylily clumps get bigger, you can divide them so that they don't over-grow the daffs completely (gettting free plants to boot!). i never cut my daff foliage and remove it only when thoroughly brown. gotta feed those bulbs, ya know!

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™