Globemaster in part sun---still beautiful! (pic)

joannembMay 25, 2010

I was a bit wary about planting Globemaster in my front yard facing East in only 4-5 hrs. morning sun. But I took a leap of faith and planted 30 (yes, 30) of them last Fall and crossed my fingers. Well needless to say, they are just beautiful--what a show! Not vollyball size, but a good size larger than soft balls, they are really pretty. Everyone who walks by comments on "those whimsical purple balls...what in the world are they?" Just thought I'd post a picture for anyone who is on the fence about trying them in part sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbiecz3(z3MB)

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 7:36PM
izharhaq

very pretty...

Izhar

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 12:21AM
sandyslopes z5 n. UT

They're beautiful and full, but they're using the energy that was already stored in the bulb when you planted them last fall. The real test will be how well they come back next year and the year after that. You may see them come back smaller each year if they don't get enough sun on their leaves to store up energy for the next year's flowers.

I've had another kind of allium that got smaller over the years as the shrubs around them grew and shaded them. But they were getting less than your four to five hours of sunshine. That may well be enough. I don't know. Good luck with them!

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 4:22AM
joannemb

Oh yes, their leaves don't get much sun at all---they are really hidden behind the boxwoods. Will be interesting to see what happens next year.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 1:44PM
joannemb

I just read the following on a website:

"We supply large bulbs, in the nature of things these will split to produce smaller flowers in the second year, and as these grow larger again flower size will increase."

So maybe I should expect smaller flowers either way next year (sun or not) because this is just 'what they do.' As the bulb grows larger, in subsequent years so will the flowers. We shall see.... A couple of mine are much shorter with smaller heads (and are getting exactly the same amount of sun)-- so maybe they were just smaller bulbs.

Maybe the size of the flower head has less to do with the amount of sun, and more to do with the size of the bulb at any given year.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
Sponsored Products
LED Half Moon Deck Light by Kichler
$83.00 | Lumens
Modern Wood Chandelier with 5 Uplighting Frosted Glass Shades
ParrotUncle
Camino Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant with Amber Matte Glass
$405.00 | Bellacor
Triple Cedar Screen in Rectangular Planter Christmas Decor
FRONTGATE
Swanky Gray Narrow Zig Zag Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus