Bulbs going dormant already? (Yellow & dead)

ponderosa-alpenglow(6 (Pine Mountain, CA))May 20, 2012

It's spring time here and it's been in the 60's and 70's. I have two hills in my front yard, one has irises, which are thriving and one that has alliums, crocus, grape hyacinth and daffodils. The alliums, crocus, grape hyacinth and daffodils all sprouted after the last freeze, looked great and about a month later (now) are yellow, brown and dead. What could it be? I have had luck in the spot before with my crocus. They bloomed twice last year.

I give them a soak once a week (same as the irises). Too much water? Too little? They are also mulched.

Should I just mulch over all the dead stuff now and stop watering? Will they come back later in the year?

Any advice would be awesome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

These are planted on hills and I would expect are very well drained. I have bedding plants planted on hills here that I need to water 3 times a week. Al

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 9:18AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

They are supposed to die back after flowering.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 6:27PM
gardengal48

As BorS states, they are supposed to die back after flowering. Spring flowering bulbs bloom once a year in spring, die back and go dormant in summer and do not reappear again in any form until winter. And they prefer to be kept quite dry when dormant.

I have never, ever, heard of a reblooming crocus!! Are you sure that's what you were seeing? There are some crocus that DO bloom in fall but those that bloom in fall do not bloom in spring as well.

Iris are an entirely different kettle of fish :-) There are rhizimatous, bulbous or plain old fleshy rooted iris so dormancy with these plants is very different depending on type. Some are virtually evergreen in appearance.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 4:20PM
ponderosa-alpenglow(6 (Pine Mountain, CA))

Thanks so much for your responses! I'm happy, sounds like I didn't kill them.

My husband just refreshed my memory that the crocus bloomed in November (flowers only) and the came back, just leaves this April.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™