Bougainvillea (Pics)

puglvr1(9b central FL)February 27, 2008

Just wanted to share a couple of pics of my potted bougainvillea. I keep it outside almost all year. Last year it had very few flowers and the small one had almost none. I think between Al's potting mix, Thanks Al (tapla) and regular use of diluted Schultz bloom plus fertilizer, I am going to assume is the reason for my success that I am having. I brought it in tonight since we are suppose to be in the 30's ( that's cold for florida), LOL...Appreciate your help Al as always...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The potted Bougainvillea is a good choice for those of us just beyond the frost proof zone. I lost mine this winter from an early frost, but will get another when they are available. Nice pictures of well grown plants. Al

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 9:55AM
citrusnut

Wow, they sure are beautiful! How old are they? Now I want one. I just have to learn how to prune stuff.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 2:22AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks calistoga and citrusnut, appreciate the kind words.

It's not very old at all, the bigger one I got from my daughter (home depot) almost a year ago. I repotted it and trimmed the leaves and the roots (a little) so it would fit in the clay bowl. The bonsai style one I've had a little over a year (took a small branch,had a little bit of roots already from my dwarf Bougain.)that I had in the ground and put it in a bosai pot. I am not good at pruning either,LOL...Its more or less trial and error, mostly error, :o). Try it, I'm sure you will love this plant.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 9:58AM
solstice98(9b/Orlando)

If you are going to try one, remember not to overwater it. With regular watering, they tend not to bloom. In Florida we are lucky and able to grow them in the ground, but I had to dig mine up and put them in large containers to keep them dry enough! I cut out the bottom of the tubs so they could drop a few roots down, but having them in the container keeps the bulk of the roots pretty dry.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 3:06PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Ohhh Nancy - I don't know HOW I missed your post. I'm really sorry I didn't acknowledge your thoughtfulness in mentioning me/the soil. I think you KNOW that if I'd have seen the post I'd have responded. I saw it when you linked to it in another post. Thank you very much, and what a good job you're doing! I hope you have as much success with the rest of your plants as you are having with the bougies!

Prune off that top root as soon as it's done blooming!! (with feigned sternness) ;o) It draws your eye and robs attention from the rest of the planting.

Take good care - and it's really nice to see you on the container forum. ;o)

YPA

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 9:19PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

You're very welcome Al. You deserve the recognition...

Thanks for the compliments and I will prune those roots (I'm assuming) you are referring to the three small ones poking out on top? Thanks for the advise as always. The rest of the plants are all doing well in your mix.

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 9:35PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Yes, all three would be best, but especially that one that looks like it emerges from the stem about an inch or so above the soil. I can't see it ever being a welcome part of the composition, so it should go.

Oh yeah - I know it's off topic, but it's your thread ... my best to Max, please? ;o)

Take care - good luck. We could use some of that FL weather up here. We still have snow on the ground in many places!

YPA

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 10:02PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks again Al, and I will pass it on to Max!!

I feel your pain , Snow, )o: we have had some pretty warm, almost summer type weather here. It rained off and on most of the day yesterday. Today is suppose to be 76 degrees. I wish I could "share" our Florida weather with you.

Take care,

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™