Looking for pretty flower/bulbs/alliums

jerryngeorgia31557(8)May 26, 2009

I am looking for allium bulbs that is for looks/pretty flowers and not anything else. I don't care about the onion and garlic smells unless they have pretty blooms. I have tried glads, tulips and freesa's and they never came back after the 1st year. I planted 900 glad bulbs, 50 tulips and 75 freeza's year before last and nothing came of them last year. I guess it is because of being located in SE Georgia and the heat and wet weather. I do not have any bulbs to trade but I do have yellow Lady Banks rose cuttings to trade.

Would someone give me advise on what to use even if you don't want to trade. I think you would love the lady banks roses though. I appreciate this site so much and have found some great people to deal with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Nell Jean

I have no bulbs for trade, nor advice but I can tell you what bulbs I successfully grow in zone 8b SW GA.

What grows for me in the hottest, most humid part of the state are certain daffodils: jonquillas, triandrus types, miniatures and cyclamineus types; hyacinths do well for me. Those are the early spring bulbs.

Late spring: agapanthus, amaryllis, Longiflorum/Asiatic hybrid lilies, and Calla lilies.
In summer: crocosmia, crinum, caladium, colocasia, Oriental/Trumpet lilies and their hybrids; cannas

In late summer and fall: lycoris and sternbergia

I've grown tulips and freesias. Like yours they didn't come back. Tulips are too much trouble, freesias prefer greenhouse treatment. The alliums I planted didn't grow, either. Glads do come back for me sometimes but not always.

Bulbs that have not done well for me include dahlias, tuberoses and muscari. I saw blooms but not increase.

Recommended bulbs that I have not tried include leucojum and zepharanthes, but I have seen these growing in gardens in Grady County.

BrentandBeckysBulbs have their summer bulbs on sale until June 1.

Nell

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Hi Jerry, I've gotten allium to perform pretty well here in NC. I planted some of these 'Alpine Rosy Bells' a few years ago and they've gotten really thick. Daffodils do really well for me too. If I were you, I'd also try Hippeastrum (aka Amaryllis). I'm sure they'd over winter for you. I'm going to try some here outside this winter. Below is a picture of my allium from mid-April. Good luck! Alana From GardenWeb pics

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
Recommendations for mainly crocus bulb supplier
Short story: New house, few bulbs (almost none) I'd...
dbarron
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Sponsored Products
Global Furniture USA R963 Leather Chaise Lounge in Cappuccino
Beyond Stores
Possini Euro Wired 32" Wide Glass and Chrome Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Ceramic Vessel Sink | Reflective Platinum White Modern Oval Bathroom Sink
maestrobath
Jardin Oval Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, 42" x 24" Oval, Patio Furniture
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
Cohasset Aged Brass Five-Light Chandelier with Cream Shade
$910.00 | Bellacor
Artificial Grass: RealGrass by Real Grass Lawns Flooring EmeraldFill Ceramic
Home Depot
Round 'Keep Calm & Carry On' Wall Clock
Overstock.com
Justice Design Group GLA-8702 - Aero 2 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Rippled Ri
$320.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™