Looking for pretty flower/bulbs/alliums

jerryngeorgia31557(8)May 26, 2009

I am looking for allium bulbs that is for looks/pretty flowers and not anything else. I don't care about the onion and garlic smells unless they have pretty blooms. I have tried glads, tulips and freesa's and they never came back after the 1st year. I planted 900 glad bulbs, 50 tulips and 75 freeza's year before last and nothing came of them last year. I guess it is because of being located in SE Georgia and the heat and wet weather. I do not have any bulbs to trade but I do have yellow Lady Banks rose cuttings to trade.

Would someone give me advise on what to use even if you don't want to trade. I think you would love the lady banks roses though. I appreciate this site so much and have found some great people to deal with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Nell Jean

I have no bulbs for trade, nor advice but I can tell you what bulbs I successfully grow in zone 8b SW GA.

What grows for me in the hottest, most humid part of the state are certain daffodils: jonquillas, triandrus types, miniatures and cyclamineus types; hyacinths do well for me. Those are the early spring bulbs.

Late spring: agapanthus, amaryllis, Longiflorum/Asiatic hybrid lilies, and Calla lilies.
In summer: crocosmia, crinum, caladium, colocasia, Oriental/Trumpet lilies and their hybrids; cannas

In late summer and fall: lycoris and sternbergia

I've grown tulips and freesias. Like yours they didn't come back. Tulips are too much trouble, freesias prefer greenhouse treatment. The alliums I planted didn't grow, either. Glads do come back for me sometimes but not always.

Bulbs that have not done well for me include dahlias, tuberoses and muscari. I saw blooms but not increase.

Recommended bulbs that I have not tried include leucojum and zepharanthes, but I have seen these growing in gardens in Grady County.

BrentandBeckysBulbs have their summer bulbs on sale until June 1.

Nell

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Hi Jerry, I've gotten allium to perform pretty well here in NC. I planted some of these 'Alpine Rosy Bells' a few years ago and they've gotten really thick. Daffodils do really well for me too. If I were you, I'd also try Hippeastrum (aka Amaryllis). I'm sure they'd over winter for you. I'm going to try some here outside this winter. Below is a picture of my allium from mid-April. Good luck! Alana From GardenWeb pics

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™