watering dormant bulbs

bartjonesJune 18, 2009

So last fall I planted some crocuses and daffodils in containers. I left them outside on the patio over the winter and in the spring they popped up and bloomed nicely. They are now done blooming and I left them in a sunny spot after they were done and watered them once a week. Now the foliage has all died back and turned brown. I'm hoping they will come back next spring but am wondering this. While they are dormant, do I need to give them any water? I know ranunculus bulbs don't like water while they are dormant. What about crocuses and daffodils?

Second question is the same but with respect to freesias which I planted in containers outside in the fall and brought indoors after we began to get close to frost time. They also bloomed wonderfully indoors from January to about April. I moved them outside again in late April, left them in a sunny spot and watered them about once a week. The foliage has now died and I'm hoping they will come back next fail. How often should I water them if at all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

If your container soil is good quality fast draining soil less mix, I would keep the containers in a shady or partial shady area to keep the soil temperature down in the summer. Occasional water or rain water will be OK and they will remain dormant through the heat of summer. Well drained soil is the key to keeping bulbs in the containers year around with no rotting. Al

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 9:29AM
bartjones

It's not a soilless mix but it does drain very well, so it sounds like I'm okay to just leave them outside.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 9:40PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

In a shady area.

Since they're potted, remember to begin fertilizing when leaves show. Low nitrogen.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™