Will Lady Bank Roses grow large and survive in large container?

729zoomFebruary 9, 2014

Hi,
I have 22' by 10' shed that is 14' high from lowest point to top of roof. I am building a purgola over the top of the roof to support the vines but the only problem I face is the fact that the shed sits on a concrete slab with concrete all around it. If I got a whiskey barrel or bigger smart pot (these are the fabric pots that air prune), could I grow a lady banks big enough to cover the shed and would it survive long term?
If not, any other suggestions on a vine that would quickly cover the shed and also tumble down over the side? I was hoping to find something that could basically grow up, spread out and then grow down the other side.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucille(Houston)

729zoom,

Check out some pictures of large Lady Banks. She can get really, REALLY large.So you could easily site her 10 feet from the shed and train the emerging canes onto the shed.
I really think for a rose that large, more than a whisky barrel's worth of room is needed.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 7:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
729zoom

Thank you so much for the reply, Lucille. I am going to also look into taking out a part of the sidewalk so I can plant into the ground. I assume that would be ok to do and that the roots can spread out under the sidewalk?

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Avocado as a Container Plant III
Well, another wonderful Summer is passing, and there...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™