Just bought gladiolus bulbs...plant now?

sandyman720(NJ)June 21, 2011

Hi All,

I just bought a ton of gladiolus bulbs on clearance. Should I plant these now? Wait until the fall?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

With a ton of glads, start planting them now. Divide them up and plant some weekly to lengthen the bloom period. It takes about 90 days from planting to bloom, so plan to have them all bloom before the weather cools too much. Al

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 9:06AM
claydirt(5)

I just got my first few "clearance gladiolus" about two weeks ago. They are already up and growing (8 of 10 made it).

If it freezes in NJ in the winter, you will probably need to dig them up in the fall for safe over-wintering (not plant them). I would think that planting now is better that trying to store them for almost a full year.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 10:08PM
hlauder7

I've grown glads for years but never at this new property. It took all Summer to get some landscaping done and I wanted to wait until it was completed to plant the glads. We slid in to the Fall season and it was starting to get chilly out so I just decided to plant them a month ago (October; I live in Northern Virginia), figuring they'd just sprout next year. I should also say that I always leave glads in the ground and only dig them up about every 3 years to harvest the 'babies'. Well - these things are sprouting right now (November 4). Any suggestions? Rescue them? Let them go?

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™