Hedychium gigantum

thefof(NSW Aust)June 30, 2014

Guys
I bought a pair of rhizomes last winter, and both grew during the summer to about 1m but showed no inclination to flower. I realise they probably need some time to get established.
Checking the web, it looks like the species name should end in 'eum'. Apart from that I can find no information.
Have any of you had any experience with this plant?
How long does it need to settle in?
Are there any special conditions/tricks they like/need?

They are planted in a bed that gets full sun from about midday, but with a cool root run, as they are growing through a bed of Erigeron karvinskianus (Seaside daisy).
I am in Western Sydney, NSW

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

The Hedychium coronarium which is white flowering, is commonly grown here, reaching to 5 to 6 feet. It blooms late in the fall. Here it does best with an eastern exposure, with morning sun. There is also a yellow flowering species also grown here. Both do equally as well. Our climate gets down to an average winter low of about 25f which will knock them back, but they recover quickly. They are both equally fragrant. Al

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 6:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

The Hedychium coronarium which is white flowering, is commonly grown here, reaching to 5 to 6 feet. It blooms late in the fall. Here it does best with an eastern exposure, with morning sun. There is also a yellow flowering species also grown here. Both do equally as well. Our climate gets down to an average winter low of about 25f which will knock them back, but they recover quickly. They are both equally fragrant. Al

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Red Impression Tulips
Are Red Impression tulips considered early Tulips ?...
dan1018
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
daves10z7annv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™