Hedychium gigantum

thefof(NSW Aust)June 30, 2014

Guys
I bought a pair of rhizomes last winter, and both grew during the summer to about 1m but showed no inclination to flower. I realise they probably need some time to get established.
Checking the web, it looks like the species name should end in 'eum'. Apart from that I can find no information.
Have any of you had any experience with this plant?
How long does it need to settle in?
Are there any special conditions/tricks they like/need?

They are planted in a bed that gets full sun from about midday, but with a cool root run, as they are growing through a bed of Erigeron karvinskianus (Seaside daisy).
I am in Western Sydney, NSW

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The Hedychium coronarium which is white flowering, is commonly grown here, reaching to 5 to 6 feet. It blooms late in the fall. Here it does best with an eastern exposure, with morning sun. There is also a yellow flowering species also grown here. Both do equally as well. Our climate gets down to an average winter low of about 25f which will knock them back, but they recover quickly. They are both equally fragrant. Al

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 6:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The Hedychium coronarium which is white flowering, is commonly grown here, reaching to 5 to 6 feet. It blooms late in the fall. Here it does best with an eastern exposure, with morning sun. There is also a yellow flowering species also grown here. Both do equally as well. Our climate gets down to an average winter low of about 25f which will knock them back, but they recover quickly. They are both equally fragrant. Al

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™