Planting bulbs in the summer?

mandolls(4)June 25, 2013

My partner just came home with some bulbs that were marked down at a big box store. Mixed Gladiolas, Dutch Iris -Miss Saigon, and Pineapple Lilies.

I have only ever planted bulbs in the spring and the fall.

I am pretty sure the Glads will be fine and have the potential to bloom this season. Can I go ahead and plant the lilies and Iris? or should I refrigerate them and plant them in the fall?

Or - Could I plant them in pots for the rest of this season and then transplant them into the beds in the fall?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

I did a little web research and found these are all tender bulbs in my area. I knew the glads were but i didnt realize the others were. I'll stick them in the ground and see what happens, dig them in the fall and see if I can keep them over.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 5:52PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Sometimes, it is just easier and cheaper in the long run, to buy new (non-hardy) bulbs in the spring. However, by all means try to dig them to store over the winter. You don't have much to lose but your time.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:15AM
mandolls(4)

I am sure it is easier, but not so sure how it could be cheaper. I dig Dahlia tubers up every fall, divide and store them successfully. I give away over 100 a year to friends and family, and they can cost $5-$8 a piece.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 7:59AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Sorry mandolls. I was only referring to the bulbs you mentioned in the post, glads, dutch iris and pineapple lilies.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 8:38AM
mandolls(4)

OK - You have a good point. I think these were marked down to less than $3 for 50 glads. When I think about it, it would take several hours to dig, clean and store them. Because of my Dahlias, I am in the habit of digging and saving, but I dont think these will be special enough to spend the extra time.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™