Daffodil and Tulip leaves STILL green this long?

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)June 14, 2009

Daffodil and Tulip leaves STILL green! How long should it take for them to be ready to trim off? They are shading some of my perennials too much. I have daffodil baby boomers and Double Campernelles that just don't want to quit lol. Shouldn't they be long since history for this season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Been a long, cool (downright cold) spring - my daff foliage is still green and upright. One trick is to roll/fold down the foliage or gather it into one bunch and bind it semi-loosely with a twist tie or somesuch. It's out of the way and still feeds the bulbs until it finally browns out and can be cut down.

Tedious if you've got lots of bulbs!

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 10:04AM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

I think it's the extra rain we've all had that's keeping them green as well. I've noticed that my daffs that get more water stay greener longer (and multiply faster) than the ones that are in a drier area.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 6:44PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Mine are still green too. The tulips have finally yellowed but the daffodils are still lush. Some are finally flopping over, though. Tying is too much work (plus I have too many): I may gather and tuck, though.

I need the garden to dry out so I can plant my annuals!

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 2:17PM
paul_(z5 MI)

At my folks' place, it isn't uncommon for the leaves to stay green through most of July. That's why I will never plant them at the front of a bed again.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 4:01PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Yes, I'm starting to wish I planted where the green leaves wouldn't interfere with other perennials in the bed. Maybe in autumn I can move some, but by then they may have spread anyway.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 4:43AM
More Discussions
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™