This is an odd question

LullabyF360June 15, 2014

I am in the process of moving plants. They are mainly bulbs: irises & gladioli along with prickly pear cactus, agave, & hydrangea bushes. Where they are being moved to, I have no other place to put them. The area gets full sun all day. Is there a cheap trick to give shade for plants? I can't plant them anywhere else, & where they are now, they would be concreted under the new driveway.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

If this new location is only temporary you can make a frame of the size needed and cover with shade cloth. Al

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 10:06AM
LullabyF360

The new location may or may not be temporary. We have considered building a house on our property. If or when the house is built, it will give shade to everything in the afternoon.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 10:10AM
gardengal48

The only one of the various plants you list that has a need for shade is the hydrangea. All the others will be perfectly happy in all day sun.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 6:52PM
sara82lee(8a - SE Va)

My es hydrangea is in the most blazing afternoon sun. I moved it there from a place that was quite shady. It sulked for a year and then looked happy again. But now I am fighting off leaf spot that I never had a problem with before. Last year the leaf spot defoliated the whole thing. This year I've been religiously spraying it and haven't seen a sign of it. It's looking very healthy again and happy, but I have to wonder whether the leaf spot is partly a result of its more vulnerable location.

I believe your iris and gladiolus will do better than before in full sun.

This post was edited by sara82lee on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 20:51

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™