bulbs I forgot to plant

bev1065(7)June 16, 2014

What should I do with the dutch iris and allium bulbs that did not get planted this past fall? Should I plant them now or wait until fall? I know the dutch iris would have already bloomed and I don't care if the allium bloom this summer or not, just which planting time would be better for the plants themselves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

If they're alive, plant them...only if you gave very careful storage will they still be alive.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:20PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

And, if you could plant them in a clear space, well-marked. Even in the veggie garden.

If the Irises survive they might be so busy making daughter bulbs that they don't do much at all, flower-wise. A feed with liquid tomato or potato food could be helpful for them to set buds for next year - providing they show up. Same for the Alliums.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 5:44AM
OldDutch(4)

Your original post got me thinking about a package of glads I got early last spring and never got in the ground. They looked to be completely dried out, I was on the verge of throwing them out, but I planted them anyway. They are now coming up, all of them.

You never quite know how well they survive, until you put them in the ground. Of course, the longer you delay the less likely you will get anything at all from them, and even if some of them grow, they may not have enough time to mature enough before season end.

I am hoping that my glads are far enough along by the time I have to dig them this fall. If so, they store easy; all you have to do is leave the foliage on and bundle the stalks, hang them frost free and then clean them before planting next spring.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Red Impression Tulips
Are Red Impression tulips considered early Tulips ?...
dan1018
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Sponsored Products
Canterbury Arbor - 66" Opening
Fifthroom.com
Jaipur Maroc Owls Well Flat Weave Animal Print Pattern Wool Handmade Rug Multico
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Lavender Herb Bunch D├ęcor
$14.99 | zulily
Backyard X-Scapes Black Rolled Bamboo Fence - 11BLACK
$72.99 | Hayneedle
6-foot Ficus Tree and Bamboo Planter
Overstock.com
Laura Ashley 5-foot Artificial Grass Floor Plant
Overstock.com
Agave Blue Garbage Bowl
$16.99 | zulily
Exotic Truffles