New to bonsai/New to Florida

rlugo(Z9)December 6, 2009

I'm thinking of Bonsai as my new hobby. I know that certain trees fair better in certain areas. I am new to my area and its climate. I just moved from Ohio to Largo Florida. I'm wondering what trees might be good for me to start with in this climate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jack_r(9)

I recommend Ficus microcarpa, Ficus salicifolia, and bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). They are well adapted to the climate of Florida and readily available. You should also join a bonsai club. You can find one on the internet I'm sure by going to the websites of The American Bonsai Society or Bonsai Clubs International or just Google "bonsai clubs". Membership in a club will get you up that old learning curve much faster. Good luck, Jack

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 2:08AM
rlugo(Z9)

Thanks Jack, I will look into it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 10:04PM
bamboo_turtles

I've been getting a few Ficus microcarpa from Home Depot that could fit into six inch pots but I've put them into ten inch pots because I want them to get the big fat roots . I read they are slow growing . Do you have any suggestions on how to get the roots bigger ? Or I'll just have to wait 5 or 8 yrs and take it out of the pot ? What is your suggestion on getting the big fat roots on a ficus ?

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 12:28AM
jack_r(9)

If you want big roots you must let the top of the tree go wild. The roots get their nourishment from the leaves. More leaves mean bigger roots. So you must fertilize, and water your tree for the most growth. The larger pot will help also. Happy growing. Jack

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 1:35AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Rlugo,
how about a Desert Rose (Adenium)? From a seedling, they develop a nice, fat caudex.
From a cutting, the roots intertwine to eventually produce a massively-twisted rootflare.
In Florida, Desert Rose will flower most of the year, and it also responds well to pruning.

Josh

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 9:53AM
rlugo(Z9)

Thanks Josh, I just looked it up and am adding it to the list. I think I will try all of the above. I'd like to start some from scratch, but I'd also like to buy something that has been trained/bonsai-ed a bit (I guess that's the term). This way I will have something decent to look at. Anyone know of any shops near me?

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple Bonsai Tree Started to Sprout
Hello, I am a first time bonsai grower and I bought...
bgardne7
aerial roots
I have a sheflera bonsai that sprouted a number of...
davidfromdetroit
Will a Holly. make a good Bosnia?
I just bought a holly in a six inch pot. It just says...
plantermunn
Eastern White Pine
hi, I have a small eastern white pine intended for...
bigbiglew
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™