Big pictures of my Bonsai - Need Help

darrbizzareDecember 10, 2006

Okay, I have decided to show off some pictures of my bonsai and was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on its coloring. I am worried about it turning a little brown on some of the branches.

So what do you guys think? I had just watered it, which is why the branches look a little dark.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

I think you should take all those nice pebbles, trade them in for slightly smaller ones, get three times as many though and mix them into the soil so it drains a lot faster and doesn't stay wet between waterings, then water less often and ... keep the tree out of the house (where is it actually?).

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 9:56PM
darrbizzare

Its on my outdoor patio. I thought I thought it wasnt a good idea to repot in the winter, or something like that.

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 10:01PM
bonsaikc(z5-6 KCMO)

Thank you for such wonderful photos of your extremely healthy-looking tree. As long as the needles stay somewhat soft, it's doing okay. The brown you see is just the normal process of lignification. The new growth lignifies, or becomes woody, as it matures. The bits of brown needles will eventually come off. Make sure the gravel is not glued on, if it isnt, you can leave it there and repot with a free-draining mix in spring.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sashi-eda Bonsai

Bookmark   December 11, 2006 at 10:48AM
pineslayer

Your juniper looks fine and very healthy. The browning at the bases of the branches is natural - what you DON'T want is browning at the tips, or browning throughout the entire branch.

You will also note that your juniper is starting to exhibit softer "mature" foilage. Younger trees (and branches) will exhibit the sharp, needle-like foilage that hurts you when you are working with the tree. If you let branches mature, and carefully pinch back growth, the entire tree will exhibit the softer growth the looks more like green fingers than needles.

- Alex

www.bonsainut.com

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Who's Going to MABA show in July?
Wondering if anyone from GW is planning to attend the...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Pepper Bonsai help
Hi, I've just received some Bolivian Rainbow Pepper...
Artemis
Does My Bonsai Need Repotting?
Hello, I got a Japanese Juniper bonsai for Christmas,...
juleslynn44
making bonsai leaves smaller
i heard somewhere that if you cut back the leaves on...
raregreen
help my bonsai is dying!!!!!
Hello, I am in desperate need of help. I am a begginer...
dayscraze
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™