Colocasia 'mojito'

UPBigBoy4014February 24, 2014

I am considering purchasing a Colocasia esculenta 'mojito' plant. I find this foliage plant beautiful. Does this plant spread quickly? I am planning on purchasing a half a whiskey barrel from Lowes or Home depot. Is this an appropriate container? Also, what are some other plants, preferably perennials, that would go well with this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I love Elephant ears and would love to grow that one. For the past couple summers, I grew three tubers of ordinary colocasias in a smallish (15-20 gallon) half whiskey barrel made with the 5-1-1 mix discussed on this forum. It was in partial shade and needed lots of water. They grew 6-feet tall and were lush and fast growing, but they didn't "spread" in one summer season. In my zone, I have to dig them up in the fall to winter inside. So I can't answer your question about long term companion plants.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:43PM
UPBigBoy4014

Considering I will also have to dig him in fall, would other tropical bulbs, tubers, and the like (which I will also dig), look ok with this plant?

Things like caladium for example.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:40AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I seriously considered caladiums last summer, but my budget was tight and I felt I would need several largish ones to balance the plant. I started out with a low growing annual vine in contrasting colors instead. It attracted aphids so I pulled it out in mid-summer.

I think caladiums would look good and work well, but I did notice that my container was densely filled with roots by season's end. So you would need to feed and water more if you add them. I had to water my elephant ears in the shade more than full grown tomatoes in the same size containers in full sun.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™