potted galtonias with no flowers

rebaru(z5 QC)June 5, 2010

I got three bulbs last year that I grew in a pot. I kept the pot in my (heated) garage in the winter, but probably because it has a small window, the galtonias started coming up very early. Repotting them I broke a stem, but still now there are leaves from all 3 bulbs. But, there are no flowers coming. I decided last week to give them some bulb booster fertilizer, but what else can i do to help along flowers for next year? and should i make sure they are stored in the DARK? Thanks for your advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Start them in the pots - then, when they're well away - get them into the garden.

Lots of yummy compost. Well-drained soil and reliable water. Sunshine. And back of the border because they grow to be Rather Large. You'd need a tub more than a pot to grow them well.

Remove in autumn and keep frost free then do as you did and pot up for getting them started in spring.

(G candicans gets to be around 4' high and has generous leaves, too. Not a shy plant...)

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 6:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

One of my favorite and most reliable bloomers here. It is too early in the year to expect flowers. My patch is over 10 years old and about 3 feet in diameter from a single bulb. For several years I have been saving seed and growing them to bulbs to give to friends, which is how I got my bulb. My soil is well fortified with compost, but I have never used fertilizer. Our temperatures seldom fall below 25 degrees. They make sturdy stems which never require staking. Al

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Sponsored Products
Esmont Blue Flower Shade Touch Table Lamp
$29.99 | Lamps Plus
Geometric Groove Platter
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Handmade Kerman Rust/ Gold Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6 Oval)
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Wyndham Blue/Multi 4 ft. x 6
Home Depot
Millie McKenzie Ottoman
Cost Plus World Market
Darlee Series 30 Round Patio Bar Table
$431.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™