Anyone ever buy from 'Brent & Becky's'?

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)June 28, 2013

I just ordered oxalis versicolor from Brent and Becky's, then read negative comments regarding viability of these bulbs in specific from this vendor. Has anyone had experience ordering versicolor (or anything else?) from them? Should I be concerned?Comments? Thanks!

--Rick in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

I've ordered several oxalis, but not this particular one, from Brent & Becky's, lots of other bulbs from them too & always been happy.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:21PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

I think they are a great company and I have had great experiences with their bulbs.

Many "bulbs" are surprisingly fragile and perishable. Winter aconite (Eranthis hyemalis) is a classic example of a bulb that is seldom viable by the time it is bought and planted in the fall. But as long as people want to buy it, someone will be selling it that way. Most bulb suppliers are simply brokers of imported stock.

A good portion of Brent and Becky's stock is grown and processed in Holland. When it arrives at their facilities, they can only assume it has been properly grown and handled if it has no visible rot or other problems. It is impossible to really test for viability of fall-planted bulbs.

One thing I can suggest if you can budget it is that you order 2-3x the quantity of oxalis you need to cover losses from any potential non-viable bulbs you will receive. Also, ask customer service to process and ship the order as soon as the bulbs arrive at their facilities, even if it is much earlier than you would normally plant bulbs in your area. With fragile bulbs, even a couple of weeks could make a difference. Brent and Becky's is excellent about accommodating requests like this in my experience.

Good luck with your bulbs and please report how they do for you!

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:24AM
browneyedsusan_gw(8a)

I have bought bulbs several times from Brent & Becky's and have always received great bulbs. They are a very reliable company.

Susan

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
daves10z7annv
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Sponsored Products
Wild Horses Shaped Novelty: 2 Ft. 10 In. x 3 Ft. 1 In. Rug
$45.95 | Bellacor
Slant Gimbal Track Head by Juno
$92.68 | Lumens
Sheepskin Rug 2' x 6' - IVORY
$239.00 | Horchow
Schonbek Quantum Collection 24" Wide Block Crystal Pendant
Lamps Plus
Tobacco Blue Sara Nightstand
Cost Plus World Market