planning ahead for tulips

njitgradJune 22, 2013

In the fall I plan on replacing the existing soil next to my garage so that it is more suitable for growing flowers.

This spring I ripped out the remaining shrubs (that the previous homeowners planted) and added some compost into the dry soil. Subsequent to that I transplanted annual seedlings (that I started from seed) into the ground and surrounded them with containered flowers and tomato plants. The annuals that are in the ground aren't growing so well as you can plainly see below.

My plan for the Fall is: remove 6 inches of soil. Replace it with a 50/50 mix of ProMix BX and compost. Add tulips in clumps every 2-3 feet in a staggered fashion. Cover the bulbs, lay down 1/2" hardward cloth to keep the squirrels out then cover with the loose soil, followed by 2 inches of mulch.

Once the tulips die off in the late Spring, I will re-create the landscape pictured below in mid-May.

I welcome any suggestions or alternative ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
senjanevada(9)

Hi, where did you buy tulip bulbs in bulk for less? thanks.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 8:00PM
njitgrad

Um, I haven't yet.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:57PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Choose a variety of early blooming tulips such as Single Early or the Fosters if you want the foliage to die off quickly in the spring. If you improve the soil, would you consider putting your tomato and annual plants directly into the ground next summer? I don't think I would put as much as 50% Promix into the garden. I would suggest only 25-30% Promix, and then add your compost and some type of topsoil (bagged or otherwise).

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™