Small silvery bugs on my Benjamina Ficus

SmurfishyFebruary 3, 2014

They are grey with a silver sheen when light is over them. Dare I say they are mites? They are fast moving. I need to know if this is hurting my plant? If so what should I do? I first found these mites in my snake tank. My ficus was on top of it. When I googled I did not find the correct colored mite. I wonder if the mites are from the snake or vice versa.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Wings? Crawling? Where found on the plant? Found in the soil? Evidence of damage to the plant - if so, how about a picture of pest and damage?

Al

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 5:00PM
Smurfishy

Have had so much troubles logging back into this site!!! Nice to see you again Tapla, couldn't find a way to get ahold of you personally and a search with your name shows the last post as two years ago! Not sure if they have wings, they do crawl about but most notably after a watering, they are in the soil. I don't notice if there any damage, I skimmed the surface with a fork and some of the roots broke off easily, not sure if this is normal. My ficus has not had any notable changes since I brought it in this fall. I am attaching some you tube links, hope it works!

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 4:55PM
Smurfishy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqIuaiNpees&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 11:04PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Good to see you, too!

Fungus gnats

Your soil looks like it has collapsed and is extremely water-retentive - thus the rotten roots, too. You need to get your watering under control - watering to much. In most cases, you can control the gnats with a more appropriate watering regimen, but when soil is badly broken down, watering appropriately might not be possible, or if it was it still might not offer relief from the gnats. Do you know how to use a wood dowel to test for the need to water?

I've been posting right along - just not as much as usual. I was pretty busy this year, and I get a LOT of email from GW members with questions, which means I wasn't able to spend as much time here during summer - early winter. Tons of snow here and bitter cold for the last 10 weeks, so not much kickin now. ;-)

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™