calla lily tuber

nancyk4(6 pa)June 28, 2012

I just spent the last half hour trying to figure out where to post a question for calla lilies. decided on this forum. anyway I was given a calla lily tuber and I have no idea how to plant it. I cannot tell what should go up and what should go down into the soil. the bulb looks like a short goal post with two short vertical posts and a horizontal crossbar. I am assuming the posts go downward into the ground with the crossbar above the 2 posts. either way it just doesn't seem right. please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carrie B

See if this helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to plant calla lilys

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 8:43AM
maplerbirch(4)

When in doubt, just lay it on its side. It will still grow normally even if planted upside down, but that's not good for anyone. :)

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 3:14PM
denninmi(8a)

Ah, I never mess with "righting" many bulbs/roots/tubers such as callas. I tend to plant a LOT of them, such as the time I bought 2000 daffodils, and I often just plant bulbs by trenching, pouring in, and covering. They right themselves quite quickly in the ground through root and stem action. You really won't hurt it if it does end up wrong side up. But, the best advice was above -- if you can't tell, plant it on its side.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:09AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Callas tend to sprout roots from the sides as well as the bottom of the bulb. There's often no obvious 'down' as there is with a daffodil, for example. No root plate, as such.

In the ground, they often dig themselves deeper than you planted them so be sure your soil is deeply loosened.

Agree. Plant on its side. And, if you have only one bulb for this season, no worries. They bulk up reasonably quickly.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 6:43AM
More Discussions
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™