Is oxalis versicolor good as a winter houseplant?

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)June 3, 2013

I just ordered bulbs of this plant, and expect them in a few months, before the cold winter months.

If I grow these under my flourescent lights are they worthwhile? Even if they didn't bloom indoors, I would be happy if they succeeded in multiplying, to be grown outdoors over the summer.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

--Rick in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have grown oxalis triangularis for years. Last year I had it in a pot on my screened porch that gets no direct sunlight at all and kept it there throughout our winter. It did very well. Our lows never dipped below 20 degrees.
I am of the opinion that you almost cannot kill an oxalis. They are great plants. Sometimes almost too great.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 12:14PM
greentiger87

I've killed a couple that I tried to transplant from the wild.. never fear, if there's a plant, there's someone who's killed it.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 2:27PM
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

I'm not ready to undertake potentially destructive testing by letting these freeze. Maybe once I have spares I'll see how they winter over in the ground.
Telos has just started selling oxalis again, so hopefully these will arrive within a week or so. Up til now my only oxalis was 'iron cross', and the one that really got me going is o.palmifrons (below), and the many obtusa's that kept me going. I just hope their beauty doesn't relate to difficulty of culture.

I guess I'll find out!

--Rr in CT

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™